Covid-19 Alert

NZ moves to the Traffic light system at 11:59pm on Thursday 2 December 2021 with Auckland at RED. The rest of New Zealand level is still to be decided.
Scan QR Codes & get your Vaccination Pass | Save Lives | Be Kind

Wednesday, April 10, 2019

Check out Record Store Day Saturday 13 April 2019





Every day is Record Store Day! Read the Spinoff: https://thespinoff.co.nz/books/07-04-2019/every-day-is-record-shop-day/

"Some of my fondest childhood memories are of going to a small record store in Florence AL called The Turning Point every friday or saturday afternoon. I would skip lunch at school and save my lunch money for the week and it would put me within a dollar or two of having enough for a record a week (1974 prices). It doubled as a head shop and the smell of incense burning always made me think (even in 5th grade or so) that it was covering up the smell of some illicit drug being burned in the back. (It probably was, actually). I was very attracted to that thought and just loved the whole experience.
After they shut that store down I began going to a smaller, but really well stocked store across the river. The manager there was named Jay and he turned me onto The Rolling Stones and Bruce Springsteen and upteen other acts. We became life long friends, in fact he road-tripped into Athens GA this weekend to see my band play here. He runs Plan 9 in Richmond which is about as good a store as any in America and he still is turning me onto great bands. When I was 14 they built a mall on my side of the river with a Record Bar in it. They were a chain, but in those days it was a pretty cool one and when I turned 16 it became my first job. I was a terrible employee, but I'm convinced they never fired me because I spent all my paycheck on records and I knew our inventory inside out.
Actually they eventually did fire me, but by then I had grown into a pretty decent employee and the company had gone all corporate so I had to go. We have a turntable on our tourbus and we go scouring for little indie record stores in every town and I still blow my whole per-diem on records. Here I am 43 with a wife and child and I'm still misappropriating my lunch money like in 5th grade. The record labels throwing the indie stores to the wolves and casting their lot with the faceless megastores is indicative the mindset that has put them in such sorry shape of late. The indie record store was the closest link between music and the consumer and there was no replacing that interaction.
It is good tho see that some of the surviving indie stores are in some cases showing growth largely due to sales of vinyl records. It IS an interesting time to watch how all of this is going to pan out. Long Live Record Stores!"
- Patterson Hood (Drive-By Truckers)



No comments: